Sunday, June 5, 2011

001 What does an intelligent author expect when he makes controversial statements?

The Nobel Laureate Mr. V.S. Naipaul to Guardian:


I read a piece of writing and within a paragraph or two I know whether it is by a woman or not. I think [it is] unequal to me … My publisher, who was so good as a taster and editor, when she became a writer, lo and behold, it was all this feminine tosh. I don’t mean this in any unkind way.


Blogger's Comments
Tosh = silly/pretentious talk/writing.
Mr. Naipual is entitled to his own views, howsoever egotistic or egoistic they may be.


Mr. Naipaul may be aware that these views draw flak from the literary world. Yet, he came out openly, whatever he had in his mind. He is an intelligent author. He is not a fool. What does he then expect from his statements? Remain in the glare of public view?

Ms. Virginia Woolf will be turning over in her grave if there are souls, and souls can read newspapers.

No comments:

Post a Comment